Updated: Nov 30, 2019
Chakra energies are forever changing and moving in the body, and can go in and out of balance depending on our points of stress, diet, activity, and other lifestyle choices.
These subtle energies can be influenced in a number of ways, from yoga, sounds, and color therapy, but the easiest way is perhaps aromatherapy. Each chakra responds to different scents and can be brought back into balance by simply wearing an essential oil or filling your home with the chakra fragrance.
Here’s a quick guide on the 7 chakras, signs of imbalances, and what scents to use to help bring your chakras back in harmony.
* Root Chakra - The root chakra is the foundation chakra, the one that represents our most basic needs and instincts, it is the stability and structure we all require in order to exists. When our root chakras are out of balance, it can show chronic fatigue, as well as soreness or stiffness in the joints in the hips, legs and feet (our foundation).
You can start feeling more grounded using the following fragrances:
* Sacral Chakra - The sacral chakra is located right below the navel and is concerned with movement and creative self-expression. This chakra maintains the flow of communication between our mind and “gut reactions.” When the sacral chakra is out of balance, it can manifest in the form of lower back pain, inflexibility, overly emotional sensitivity.
Balance this chakra with the following fragrances:
* Solar Plexus - The solar plexus sits between the ribcage and navel and is a fusion of many kinds of energy in the body. Physically, the solar plexus has to do with our immunity and how well we absorb nutrients, and can become over-taxed by eating poor foods or build up of toxins. Mentally, this chakra is our self-esteem and confidence. If this chakra is out of balance, you might be experiencing poor digestion, low self-esteem, or confusing about your place in the world.
You can balance the solar plexus with the following fragrances:
* Heart Chakra - The heart chakra is located near the center of the sternum and is characterised by the energy of expansion, and the the motion of drawing in and pushing away. It is related to the heart and lungs, two organs that expand and contract in the body. The heart chakra is our emotional center, and our self-acceptance, and shows that only when we truly love and accept ourselves can we then form health relationships with others. When the heart chakra is out of balance, there will be feelings of possessiveness and unhealthy attachment in relationships, or a need to control others.
To open your heart to yourself and others, try using the following fragrances:
* Throat Chakra - The throat chakra represents our communication and ability to gather information. When the throat chakra is blocked, it will be hard to obtain a feeling of peace, difficulty listening and understanding others, or reacting to what others are saying before taking the time to understand their meaning. When our inner creativity fails to emerge, it can often show a lack of energy in the throat chakra.
If you want to achieve better communication and to freely express yourself, try using the following fragrances
* Brow or “Third Eye” Chakra - Brow Chakra is located between both brows, and is known as our seat of understanding. This chakra relates to our thoughts and how we interpret the world around us. It is shows how we view the world with our mind, rather than with just our eyes. Jumping to conclusions or confusing can show that the brow chakra is becoming disrupted. If you want to improve your intuition and your ability to see the bigger picture, try using the following fragrances:
* Crown Chakra - The last chakra is located at the top of the head. This chakra governs the balance between mind and body, physical coordination, cognition, and our thoughts and attachments. Physical imbalances can be mental fog or depression, and mental signs include holding onto thoughts, prejudices, or the inability to live in the moment.
To start living more mindfully or with better clarity, try using the following fragrances:
How to anoint the Chakras!
Key: EO = Essential Oil
* Select the chakra essential oils that you will be using. I wouldn't choose more than one oil per chakra for a session.
* Create your anointing oil. Blend each EO with a carrier oil such as jojoba or grapeseed oil at a dilution of 1-10 drops of EO per ounce of carrier oil. (This is vibrational medicine, and a very, very diluted blend will do.) Label each blend.
* Put your anointing oil blends in a place where they'll be accessible to you you once you lie down.
* Lie down on a comfortable surface, wearing loose clothes that you don't mind getting oil on. Attend to your comfort with a blanket and a pillow under your knees or head if needed. Take a few minutes to breathe deeply and slowly into your belly (actually into the lower third of your lungs, but your belly will rise and fall if you're doing it correctly!).
* Set your intention for this healing session. If you're just going to work with one chakra, set the specific intention for that one. If you're going to work with the whole system, set a general intention for this healing.
* If you're only going to work with one energy center, anoint it with the chakra essential oil you've chosen. Use only a few drops, and apply it slowly in a clockwise direction with your fingertips.
* For the root, you can anoint the soles of your feet, or your low back.
* If you are going to work with the whole system, you can proceed in one or two ways. You can start at the crown and work your wan down in order to the first chakra (sky to earth for helping you to ground and centre, relieve headaches and anxiety, manifest something on a physical plane) or you can go the other way, starting at the root and working your way up to the crown (earth to sky for raising energy to a higher vibration, enhancing spiritual development, increasing physical energy). Don't worry about the direction choice, just go with what feels right.
* As you anoint each one, you may want to set a specific intention for its healing, sense the energy of the oil, and visualize its harmonious energy working to open, balance, and "tune."
* After all have been anointed, simply rest for a while, allowing your energy to be balanced and cleared by the oils. Breathe slowly and evenly; empty your mind as much as possible, going into the "space between thoughts."
* When it feels right, end the healing.
* Gently return your awareness to the here and now, and allow yourself to transition slowly back into your daily life. Drink a glass of water, and perhaps eat a piece of fruit.
* You may want to write in your journal about what you've experienced.
* Watch for gentle, positive changes for the next week or so.